This morning my Grandfather passed away. It wasn't really a surprise, he had been fading for some time and anxious to move on to the next step in his eternal progession, so I am grateful for his opportunity to move on.
All the boys in my family have a middle name from an ancestor, but I got both names, Charles Brown, after my Grandpa. He used to always ask me what I was doing with his name, I never really knew how to answer that - still don't. I used to think of it in terms of "well, I didn't do anything bad with it this week", but I've started to think of it more pro-actively, not what I haven't done, but what have I done? I really hope to give him a good answer when we meet up on the other side.
I have two leading memories of my Grandpa Brown. The first was my grandparents tradition of hosting each grandchild at thier house for a week during the summer of the year that they turned 9 (I have no idea how they came up with that formula, but that was the formula). I remember Grandpa taking me to work with him, taking me to the park, and taking me to Universal Studios. It was a great week for me in my young life, I've got to think it wasn't too fun for Grandpa, rumor has it I can be annoying, but he took time and made me feel special. My second memory is when my brother Dave & I went to St. George to get our Patriarchal Blessings from him. I'm very lucky that I was able to recieve mine from my Grandpa. I re-read it again this morning when I found out he had gone home. It was amazing to read it again and ponder over how amazingly spot-on the blessing is. There were many things, particularly regarding my little boy that I really didn't understand at the time, but to read them now, I understand that only someone with the Priesthood, specially set apart to perform the sacred Patriarchal Blessing would be able to say with such exactness almost 20 years ago about things that are happening now. I feel so blessed to be able to have my testimony strengthened by the words of my very own Grandpa.
I often complained about "being named after a cartoon character" growing up. But that isn't true. I was named after a real hero. A World War II Veteran, a pilot, a professor, a church leader, a Patriarch, a husband, a father, my Grandfather. I only hope to so live in such a way that I can look forward to his inevitable question once I pass through the veil. Until then, thank you for the great example, Grandpa, I love you.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Thanks for those wonderful memories of Grandpa. I seem to remember him saying his name, "Charles Manley Brown Sr,". He was very proud of that.
I was going to post something too: I always thought of grandpa as a bit of a peace-maker. I don't know if that was true or not, but what was true was that if I needed a special favor I would go to him over grandma:) (rest her soul). Although I was totally bummed I didn't go to universal studios like you (since they had moved to St. George) I do remember grandpa buying me a huge pack of bubble gum. Grandma was really displeased, but Tom and I chewed that gum all week until we couldn't chew anything else!
I also remember interviewing him for a freshman honor's writing class with a friend. There was so much I didn't know about him and the direction his life had taken during the war. I love grandpa, I love his wit, that he seemed to think what he had to say was funny even if nobody else did, and his confidence. WILL MISS YOU!
Why you should feel sorry for me: Though I am only 3 short months younger than you, I did not get to go to CA for my 9 year old visit. I had to go to St. George. and 2) I lived too far away from him when I got my patriarchal blessing so I had to get mine from this guy in OK who is the looniest patriarch ever. Seriously my blessing is straight out of the Left Behind series.
I love how tender-hearted Grandpa was. He had three of his kids die before he did, Grandma (may she rest in peace) was very hard to please, he didn't really get to do the profession he wanted to and yet he was still such a generous person. Those things would normally make a person crusty and mean but he was good. Always making jokes, that little mouse out of his handkerchief, birthday cards on his original Apple computer, telling stories about the Crown vic. I loved to hold his hand when we went on walks when I was kid, I think because I knew he was so kind.
Post a Comment